Monday, December 10, 2018

ME & HIM.

Marriage. 
Specifically, the hard side of marriage.
Geez. Those movies we watched as teenage girls, dreaming and hoping and praying and wishing to have that. 
Y'all know what I'm talkin about... "that cant eat, cant sleep, reach for the stars, over the fence world series kind of stuff" (10 points if you can name that movie)
Guess what? Sometimes he makes me wanna eat my feelings in a whole box of Oreos. and guess what else, some nights I sleep just dandy when I scoot to the very edge of our bed, facing the window cuz I don't even wanna know that he's there.
*Gasp*
Its true. 

We are so quick to portray perfection on social media. I mean, who wants to get on there, post that picture, slap it with a filter and caption it as "Day 8 of giving my husband the silent treatment. I love this man but I really do not even like him." 

I don't.
I don't wanna look back and remember the bad times, the hard time, the sad times. I wanna look back and remember the good. So that there is the ugliness of social media. Therefore, I needed to scootch on over here to let y'all in on reality. 
We got married when we were 18 and 20. We dated when we were 16 and 17. We were friends from age 15 and 16. So basically we've grown up together. I know every ounce of him, and he knows every ounce of me. 
That can be ugly y'all.

Fortunately for me, I married Mother Teresa in male form and he makes our marriage world go round (obviously Christ does, but understand what I'm saying here...) I should have him write this, because when he reads this, he's gonna laugh that I am giving marriage advice. ;) We have not always had the Ephesians 5:33, Love her and respect him thing down. But guys, when we do these 2 very big, huge, important things it all meshes together in perfect marriage harmony. When we get in the crazy cycle of selfishness, pride, and unforgiveness (keepin it real-100x me more than him 🙋‍♀️  ) 
ITS. SO. FREAKIN. HARD
 There's no one on planet earth that can make him as mad as I can... and no one who makes me wanna stab them more than he does. (I kid, I kid.)
We have worked our butts off to be who we are today, and for us to be here, in our 30's with 11 years of marriage under our belt and still somewhat annoyingly into each other. We've got a good God who loves marriage, and is for marriage; and I've got a good man who always wants to be better. Who loves me for the insane, hormonal, grumpy ride that I am. Who practices everything that he learns to better himself. Who loves me when I don't even remotely deserve it. He's bomb.com. I often think to myself how he is an Ephesians 5 man. He loves me so well, just as Christ loves the church. Just as  he is instructed in scripture.

I don't say any of this out of googoo eyes for my husband, cuz I can very honestly tell you that we are dredging our way out of a crappy few weeks.

Marriage is hard.
Marriage is painful.
Marriage is ugly.
Marriage is also amazing.
Marriage is so special
and marriage is worth all the hard work.

and I close with a little word from my Mama heart: 
As our kids grow, we are quickly learning that we have lots of little eyes watching us. If that's not incentive enough to do this marriage thing right, then I don't know what is.
Kiss in front of the kids.
Hug in front of the kids.
Speak gently in front of the kids.
Respect each other in front of the kids.
Love each other in front of the kids.
We are raising the next generation in an uncertain world. Be the place of certainty for those little eyes and ears.

**Also buy him a shirt about being a mistletoe tester and completely gross out your childrens by making them take a picture of you. 👌👌👌


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dawn

 I sent my 13 year old to 7th grade, my 12 year old to 5th grade, my 11 year old to 4th grade, and my 4 year old to pre-k4. After 13 years o...