Friday, February 12, 2010

Dedicated to:

My mother-in-law, Sharon
Granny
and anyone else in Nat's family who took part in, laughed at, prayed for, or simply sat back and watched this task.

I have heard many many (horror) stories about my dear husband when he was younger, one being him having to take liquid medicines. In this process, it would take 2 people, his mom and his granny. One had to hold him down, while the other would hold his mouth open, pour in the medicine and hold his mouth shut until he swallowed. You may think this sounds a little.. cruel, but knowing my husband now, and the many many (horror) stories I have heard about him, it doesn't surprise me one bit... and its not in the least bit cruel.

Poor Nat, so mis-treated...

So he has had a bad cough lately and it usually messes with his asthma real bad so yesterday, he decided he was going to take some cough medicine... having heard stories about his poor mom giving him medicine, and never having seen him actually take a liquid medicine, I proceeded to watch. As I watched, I wished desperately that I had my camera. (I was a little hesitant to share this story with you for lack of pictures in the process) but I knew that if I got up and got my camera, he would run and hide Im sure.. or the typical hand in the camera kinda picture. So I took mental pictures and I laughed... and I laughed, and I laughed and I laughed, until I cried. Never before had I seen a grown man act like such a baby!! He stared at the cough syrup with a look of disgust on his face for (literally, I kid you not) 15 minutes. He then picked it up and held it for another 5 minutes and the look got even more disgusted. He brought it up to his mouth for another 3 minutes and I literally thought he was going to lose it. All the while I am laughing so hard I can hardly contain myself. I eventually had to get up and go tend to one of the girls, so I missed the swallowing process and when I got back in the kitchen, he had an empty medicine cup in his hand and he was leaning over the sink with his eyes shut and he looked like he was just fixin to throw up. I laugh, he proceeds to get up and he said, "I think Im scarred for life with what I went through with momma and granny."



1 comment:

  1. He was crazy. One time they were at my house and it was for my brothers birthday and we had this cake that had green icing on it. Anyway, time for Nat's med. They held him down on the kitchen table and forced him to take the med. Then he threw up. Everywhere. Green slime.

    I didn't ever get held down but I am the same way about liquid med. My mom refuses to take it too. I will hold the bottle for a while, then pour it, then hold the cup for a while. Then I take it all at once and just hold it in my mouth. And try not to gag and it takes me a long time to swallow....finally I do...then I have to hold it down. LOL So yeah...maybe a family thing???

    ReplyDelete

The Dawn

 I sent my 13 year old to 7th grade, my 12 year old to 5th grade, my 11 year old to 4th grade, and my 4 year old to pre-k4. After 13 years o...