Monday, August 18, 2014

Our school room

While doing my extensive research on homeschooling, I (me and my type A personality) was shocked by the amount of  moms that were against having a "school room".  A lot of them advising against it…. Regardless of their reasoning, I couldn't comprehend that… and I personally feel like to each their own; So I decided to toss that piece of advice out the window.

Lord knows I couldn't homeschool without LOTS of resources, and LOTS of organization and LOTS of planning. I don't feel like I could pull that off without having a specific space to do so. So, we decided what would be best for us, and that was to turn our 4th bedroom into a school room. I am SO happy we decided to do this. (and shout out to my main squeeze for supporting and helping and making all my crazy ideas come true) We've (me- the brains, him- the brawn) been working on this room for months! I am SO thrilled to have the finished product, and although we haven't officially even started "school" yet… we have spent hours in this room doing arts and crafts, puzzles, and having fun. I love to have a space where the kids have complete access to all their stuff!

Heres the before: We had already taken the bed out, but you get the picture.


My trusty put it together man. 



and the after:

The shelf  in the corner is filled with teacher stuff, and also some pretty great books for the kids as we learn about different things (I went a little crazy at the book fair) The kids desks are in the middle, with each having one of the a set of drawers.

this is the other corner… the black shelf  is filled with kid items. Crayons, markers, learning games, arts and crafts stuff, Playdough, paint. All the way across the room is our little white board, with the shelf under it (which you can't see too well.) It  is full of toys, blocks and puzzles ! I wanted to have a lot available downstairs for the little 2 as they will have a lot more down time.

Heres my little corner. Not totally, Nat does more work on the computer than I ever will. 

Through the french doors.

I know this is silly, but even the tiniest details were planned from the beginning. We've always called this the "school room" because Madelynn would sleep in here on school nights. I smile now when we call it the school room because its a totally new meaning! Also, that color… when we bought this house, I hated it. We went out and bought paint first thing…. but it never got painted. Now, a year and a half later, I am obsessing over the color and think its perfect for a school room. 
Its fun, Its cheery, its happy… and I love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dawn

 I sent my 13 year old to 7th grade, my 12 year old to 5th grade, my 11 year old to 4th grade, and my 4 year old to pre-k4. After 13 years o...